A four-day action-packed adventure for eighth-graders, Energy Camp helps develop leadership skills and promotes teamwork while teaching about cooperative enterprises, the rural electrification program and electrical safety. For the first time, CVEC will sponsor two students to the camp, which will be held May 30-June 2, 2017 at Canyon Camp, near Hinton, Okla. While Energy Camp offers many traditional summer camp activities like swimming, hiking, basketball, and a ropes course, teens also have the unique opportunity to climb a utility pole, ride in the basket of a bucket truck, tour one of the largest electricity generating facilities in the state and watch a co-op crew at work. They’ll take home a new-found confidence and a host of new friends—like minded peers from all over Oklahoma.
Students currently enrolled in the eighth grade within CVEC's service territory are eligible to compete for a spot at Energy Camp.
2018 Energy Camp Entry Rules - Students must currently be classified as 8th Graders attending a school (public, private, or home) in CVEC’s service area. It is not necessary that the student’s parent(s) or guardian(s) be members of Canadian Valley Electric Cooperative.
- Contestants will be required to write and submit an essay (suggested 1 page, no greater than 2 pages). The essay contest this spring is “A Day in a World Without Electricity”.
- Essays must be typed and double spaced on only one side of the paper. Each page should be numbered and names should be omitted for judge(s) to maintain anonymity.
- Students are required to pair with another 8th grader to write and submit the essay to encourage cooperation and participation. Attach both completed entry forms to the essay for submission.
- Entries will be judged on the basis of; (1) originality – 35%; (2) composition – 40%; (3) grammar, spelling & punctuation – 25%.
- Deadline for all entries is 11:59pm, Wednesday, April 11th, 2018. Be sure to keep a copy of your entry for your use should you be selected as the winners.
- Two alternates will be selected in the event the winners are unable to attend
- Decisions of the judge(s) are final. Dates for the 2018 Energy Camp are May 29th-June 1st.