CVEC launches 2nd year of Youth Tour!
In the coming days, CVEC rep Jarrod VanZant, will be visiting schools to share information on our Youth Tour contest.
Youth Tour is a week-long, all-expense-paid trip to Washington D.C. Two high school juniors from CVEC’s service area will receive an all-expense paid trip to Washington D.C. as winners of the Youth Tour Contest.
The students will spend the week touring the museums and visiting all of the historical monuments. In addition to visiting the museums and monuments, the Oklahoma winners have the opportunity to tour Mount Vernon, The U.S. Capitol, the Pentagon, Ford’s Theatre, enjoy a riverboat cruise on the Potomac River, and also spend time with winners from other states at NRECA’s Youth Day.
2018 Washington D.C. Youth Tour Contest Rules: Students must currently be classified as high school juniors attending a school (public, private, or home) in CVEC’s service area. It is not necessary that the student’s parent(s) or guardian(s) be members of Canadian Valley Electric Cooperative.
- Contestants will be required to write an essay of 250 – 700 words in length. This year’s subject is: Describe a moment in American history that you wish you could have been a part of and explain why. Did electricity play a role in this event?”
- Essays must be typed and double spaced on only one side of the paper. Each page should be numbered.
- Attach a completed entry form to your essay. DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME ON THE ESSAY. All judging is done on an anonymous basis.
- Entries will be judged on the basis of; (1) originality – 35%; (2) composition – 40%; (3) grammar, spelling & punctuation – 25%.
- Deadline for all entries is 11:59pm, March 7th, 2018. Be sure to keep a copy of your entry for your use should you be selected as a finalist.
- Finalists will be selected for a brief interview on Wednesday March 28th, 2018. Judges will award the Washington D.C. trip to the 2 highest scoring finalists. Two alternates will be selected and the runners-up win a small consolation prize.
- Decisions of the judges are final. Dates for the 2018 Youth Tour are June 8-14, 2018.